Friday, August 25, 2006

Beef Hor Fun with Shitake, Just any Chinese would love it

I missed Ipoh Hor fun from Singaporean hawkers. Ipoh is a city in the state of Perak in Malaysia, Singapore's neighbour country. As for Hor Fun, it is a flat rice noodle. In Singapore, Fresh Hor Fun can be bought from the local wet markets where most people shop for fresh produce. Wet markets are extremely crowded in the morning, not to mention the noise. It's not the place for the fainthearted.

Combing every parts of Seoul, I couldn't find any Chinese grocery store. Sadly to say, I was able to find just thin Thai Ricesticks in Walmart, Shinsegae and Lotte Mart. Call that lucky. Even though it's not the thick as Hor Fun, well, it's better than nothing!

With that Ipoh Hor Fun images floating all over my mind - the shredded chicken, the Chinese mustard greens, the dark Shitake mushroom gravy sauce over the Hor Fun - I was determined to make some something close to it to appease my desire.

Here is what I made:


























Top: Beef Hor Fun with Shitake;
Bottom: Chinese Bok Choy with Fresh Garlic Oil

No comments: